Recently, I’ve noticed every time I’d update a client’s AVG anti-virus definitions, it would suddenly cut off my internet connectivity for a brief moment. I’m not just talking about that computer, but the access to the internet from all computers within the network. I thought it was just a bug in my Netgear router, but was proven wrong once I heard from a customer experiencing the same issue on a Linksys router.
Finally, I’ve discovered a setting in AVG that turned out to be the culprit, and can share how to disable this simple checkbox within this article:
- Open AVG’s interface, and click on the “Tools” menu.
- From this drop-down menu, select “Advanced settings”
- On the left side of the Advanced settings screen, left-click “Update”
- Now on the right side, you’ll see a check box for “Use DNS Update” – this must be unchecked!
- Click apply, and OK to close this screen.
- Try updating AVG again after having reset your router
Hope this trick works for you!